Not being able to send emails from your Outlook account is definitely annoying, but you need to figure out as to why it happens and what can be done about it. Let’s delve into the details as to why Outlook cannot send emails.
Why can’t I send emails?
To combat spammers and reduce the amount of junk mail you receive, Outlook.com places a limit on the volume or type of emails you send. Here are the most common situations you may encounter and the respective solutions.
Increase your limits by verifying your account
New accounts have a reduced email-sending limit compared to other accounts. This helps to combat spammers from creating accounts for malicious activity.
Increase your limits by accessing the Add a phone web page and specifying a phone number. Outlook will send you a verification code for you to enter on the page. This helps Outlook to confirm that you are the account owner and not a spammer. Confirmed accounts have higher limits in terms of volume and content of emails.
Tips for verifying your account:
If you request that the code be sent to you via text message, it will be the numbers in the message field, not the numbers in the header.
You may not want to provide your phone and Outlook understands your concern very well because the number shared on public platforms are often inundated with promotional messages. However, Microsoft is not going to do it, so users can share their numbers without any issue.
- Due to network delays, it may take a few minutes for you to receive your code. If you do not receive it after 15 minutes, request another one.
- Make sure your phone can receive text messages. Text message delivery is not available in all countries or regions or on all operators.
- To deceive spammers, Outlook will ask you to enter the letters and numbers that appear in an image. Learn more about entering characters.
Daily message limit
To make it more difficult for spammers to act, Outlook limits the number of email messages that an Outlook.com account can send on the same day.
On your phone
The daily limit is lower for emails sent from your mobile device via EAS or POP. To send an email you wrote on your mobile device:
- Save the message as a draft so as not to lose it. To save it to a Windows Phone, tap the Delete icon. Will the question Save or delete the message appear? Tap Save.
- Sign in to Outlook.com on your computer, open your draft and click Submit.
In your computer
If you reach your daily limit for emails sent over the Internet, try the following:
Click Save draft to save the message.
If you haven’t already done so, increase your daily message limit by going to the Add a phone page and confirming your account.
Note: Check outgoing emails. Check any email you don’t recognize? Sometimes, when an account is hacked, the hacker sends several spam emails reaching their daily sending limit. In this case, check your PC with an updated Anti-Virus (Security Essentials from Microsoft is free) and then change your password.
Too many recipients for a single email
Outlook also limits the number of recipients you can have in an email. If you receive an error message, try the following:
- The error message will tell you how many recipients you can send a message to. Remove some recipients from your email to stay below the limit and try sending it again.
- If you have not already done so, increase your daily message limit by visiting the Add a phone page confirming your account.
The content of your message has triggered our junk email filters
A message is blocked from being sent when its content looks like junk mail to Outlook.com filters. Occasionally, legitimate emails can be blocked as junk mail. If your message has been blocked, try the following:
- Change the content of the message to make it less suspicious and try to send it again.
- If you haven’t already done so, increase your daily message limit by going to the Add a phone page and confirming your account.
Check that your browser is not contributing to this problem
The problem of not being able to not send emails in Outlook can occur if you are using an outdated browser, so make sure that you are using the most recent version of the web browser. Get Silverlight installed on the browser as well because it will ensure better functioning of the email.
Another thing you can also try is to restore your web browser to factory settings, as this may fix the problem that you are currently dealing with.